||4 months ago|
|.github/workflows||5 months ago|
|cl_dll||4 months ago|
|cmake||6 months ago|
|common||1 year ago|
|contrib/iZarif||1 year ago|
|dlls||4 months ago|
|engine||5 months ago|
|game_shared||1 year ago|
|pm_shared||5 months ago|
|public||6 months ago|
|scripts/waifulib||4 months ago|
|utils||5 months ago|
|vgui_support@9910859822||6 months ago|
|.gitignore||1 year ago|
|.gitmodules||6 months ago|
|.travis.yml||5 years ago|
|Android.mk||7 years ago|
|CMakeLists.txt||5 months ago|
|LICENSE||4 years ago|
|README.md||4 months ago|
|appveyor.yml||5 months ago|
|waf||2 years ago|
|waf.bat||4 years ago|
|wscript||5 months ago|
Half-Life SDK for GoldSource & Xash3D with some bugfixes.
- Fixed an occasional bug when houndeyes stuck unable to do anything. Technical detail: now monster's
Activityis set before the call to
- Monsters now play idle sounds as it's supposed by the code. Technical detail: the problem was a check for a wrong variable. Patch
- Fixed a bug that caused talk monsters (scientists and security guards) to face a wrong direction during scripted sequence sometimes. Patch
- Fixed squad member removal. This bug affected houndeye attacks as their attack depends on percieved number of squad members. Patch
- Scientists now react to smells. Patch
- Tau-cannon (gauss) plays idle animations.
- Tau-cannon (gauss) beam color depends on the charge as it was before the prediction code was introduced in Half-Life. Patch
- Brought back gluon flare in singleplayer.
- Hand grenades don't stay primed after holster, preventing detonation after weapon switch. Patch
- Fixed flashlight battery appearing as depleted on restore.
- Fixed a potential overflow when reading sentences.txt. Patch
- Fixed beam attachment invalidated on restore (that led to visual bugs). Patch
- Fixed alien controllers facing wrong direction in non-combat state. Patch
- Fixed weapon deploy animations not playing sometimes on fast switching between weapons. Patch Patch2
- Fixed tripmine sometimes having wrong body on pickup Patch
Bugfix-related macros that can be enabled during the compilation:
- CROWBAR_DELAY_FIX fixes a bug when crowbar has a longer delay after the first hit.
- CROWBAR_FIX_RAPID_CROWBAR fixes a "rapid crowbar" bug when hitting corpses of killed monsters.
- GAUSS_OVERCHARGE_FIX fixes tau-cannon (gauss) charge sound not stopping after the overcharge.
- CROWBAR_IDLE_ANIM makes crowbar play idle animations.
- TRIPMINE_BEAM_DUPLICATION_FIX fixes tripmine's beam duplication on level transition.
- HANDGRENADE_DEPLOY_FIX makes handgrenade play draw animation after finishing a throw.
- WEAPONS_ANIMATION_TIMES_FIX fixes deploy and idle animation times of some weapons.
Bugfix-related server cvars:
- satchelfix: if set to 1, doors won't get blocked by satchels. Fixes an infamous exploit on
- explosionfix: if set to 1, explosion damage won't propagate through thin bruses.
- selfgauss: if set to 0, players won't hurt themselves with secondary attack when shooting thick brushes.
Note: the macros and cvars were adjusted in hlfixed branch. The bugfix macros are kept turned off in master branch to maintain the compatibility with vanilla servers and clients.
Other server cvars:
- mp_bhopcap: if set to 1, enable bunny-hop.
- chargerfix: if set to 1, wall-mounted health and battery chargers will play reject sounds if player has the full health or armor.
- corpsephysics: if set to 1, corpses of killed monsters will fly a bit from an impact. It's a cut feature from Half-Life.
Obtaining source code
Either clone the repository via git or just download ZIP via Code button on github. The first option is more preferable as it also allows you to search through the repo history, switch between branches and clone the vgui submodule.
To clone the repository with git type in Git Bash (on Windows) or in terminal (on Unix-like operating systems):
git clone --recursive https://github.com/FWGS/hlsdk-portable
Install and run Visual Studio Installer. The installer allows you to choose specific components. Select
Desktop development with C++. You can untick everything you don't need in Installation details, but you must keep
MSVC ticked. You may also keep
C++ CMake tools for Windows ticked as you'll need cmake. Alternatively you can install cmake from the cmake.org and during installation tick Add to the PATH....
Opening command prompt
If cmake was installed with Visual Studio Installer, you'll need to run
Developer command prompt for VS via Windows
Start menu. If cmake was installed with cmake installer, you can run the regular Windows
Inside the prompt navigate to the hlsdk directory, using
cd command, e.g.
Note: if hlsdk-portable is unpacked on another disk, nagivate there first:
D: cd projects\hlsdk-portable
Сonfigure the project:
cmake -A Win32 -B build
Once you configure the project you don't need to call
cmake anymore unless you modify
CMakeLists.txt files or want to reconfigure the project with different parameters.
The next step is to compile the libraries:
cmake --build build --config Release
client.dll will appear in the
If you have a mod and want to automatically install libraries to the mod directory, set GAMEDIR variable to the directory name and CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to your Half-Life or Xash3D installation path:
cmake -A Win32 -B build -DGAMEDIR=mod -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life"
--target install parameter:
cmake --build build --config Release --target install
Choosing Visual Studio version
You can explicitly choose a Visual Studio version on the configuration step by specifying cmake generator:
cmake -G "Visual Studio 16 2019" -A Win32 -B build
Editing code in Visual Studio
After the configuration step,
HLSDK-PORTABLE.sln should appear in the
build directory. You can open this solution in Visual Studio and continue developing there.
Windows. Using Microsoft Visual Studio 6
Microsoft Visual Studio 6 is very old, but if you still have it installed, you can use it to build this hlsdk. There are no project files, but two
.bat files, for server and client libraries. They require variable MSVCDir to be set to the installation path of Visual Studio:
set MSVCDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio cd dlls && compile.bat && cd ../cl_dll && compile.bat
client.dll will appear in
cl_dll/ diretories. The libraries built with msvc6 should be compatible with Windows XP.
Linux. Using Steam Runtime in chroot
The official way to build Steam compatible games for Linux is through steam-runtime.
Install schroot. On Ubuntu or Debian:
sudo apt install schroot
sudo ./setup_chroot.sh --i386 --tarball ./com.valvesoftware.SteamRuntime.Sdk-i386-scout-sysroot.tar.gz
Now you can use cmake and make prepending the commands with
schroot --chroot steamrt_scout_i386 --:
schroot --chroot steamrt_scout_i386 -- cmake -B build-in-steamrt -S . schroot --chroot steamrt_scout_i386 -- cmake --build build-in-steamrt
Linux. Build without Steam Runtime
Install C++ compilers, cmake and x86 development libraries for C, C++ and SDL2. On Ubuntu/Debian:
sudo apt install cmake build-essential gcc-multilib g++-multilib libsdl2-dev:i386
cmake -B build -S . cmake --build build
Note that the libraries built this way might be not compatible with Steam Half-Life. If you have such issue you can configure it to build statically with c++ and gcc libraries:
cmake .. -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc"
To ensure portability it's still better to build using Steam Runtime or another chroot of some older distro.
Linux. Build in your own chroot
Use the most suitable way for you to create an old distro 32-bit chroot. E.g. on Ubuntu/Debian you can use debootstrap.
sudo apt install debootstrap schroot sudo mkdir -p /var/choots sudo debootstrap --arch=i386 jessie /var/chroots/jessie-i386 # On Ubuntu type trusty instead of jessie sudo chroot /var/chroots/jessie-i386
# inside chroot apt install cmake build-essential gcc-multilib g++-multilib libsdl2-dev exit
Create and adapt the following config in /etc/schroot/chroot.d/jessie.conf (you can choose a different name):
[jessie] type=directory description=Debian jessie i386 directory=/var/chroots/jessie-i386/ users=yourusername groups=adm root-groups=root preserve-environment=true personality=linux32
Insert your actual user name in place of
Prepend any make or cmake call with
schroot -c jessie --:
schroot --chroot jessie -- cmake -B build-in-chroot -S . schroot --chroot jessie -- cmake --build build-in-chroot
Building on other Unix-like platforms (e.g. FreeBSD) is supported.
Install C and C++ compilers (like gcc or clang), cmake and make (or gmake)
cmake -B build -S . cmake --build build
Building with waf
To use waf, you need to install python (2.7 minimum)
(./waf configure -T release) (./waf)
Some useful build options that can be set during the cmake step.
- GOLDSOURCE_SUPPORT - allows to turn off/on the support for GoldSource input. Set to ON by default on Windows and Linux, OFF on other platforms.
- USE_VGUI - whether to use VGUI library. OFF by default. You need to init
vgui_supportsubmodule in order to build with VGUI.
This list is incomplete. Look at
CMakeLists.txt to see all available options.
Prepend option names with
-D when passing to cmake. Boolean options can take values OFF and ON. Example:
cmake .. -DUSE_VGUI=ON -DGOLDSOURCE_SUPPORT=ON -DCROWBAR_IDLE_ANIM=ON -DCROWBAR_FIX_RAPID_CROWBAR=ON